If you are a subcontractor working within the construction industry, then the chances are you will be paid via the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS). The Construction Industry Scheme has been designed to help construction subcontractors manage their tax payments, it involves tax being deducted from the source of payment. However, for subcontractors to benefit from the scheme then they must register for CIS payments.
How to register for CIS?
To register for CIS all subcontractors must follow a few simple steps:
- Before being able to register for CIS you will need to have a couple of key documents in place:
- When you have received a National Insurance Number and a Unique Taxpayer Reference number you can apply to register for CIS via the following methods:
- Register for CIS online via the Government Gateway https://www.access.service.gov.uk/login/signin/creds
- Register for CIS via the CIS helpline https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/construction-industry-scheme
- Once you have been able to register for CIS you will be given a CIS number. This number, along with your full name you used to register for CIS, must then be passed onto the organisation paying you. Providing the wrong information or differing information used to register for CIS will see you pay the higher deductions under the scheme.
If you would like to find out more about how Bishopsgate can help you register for CIS or discuss your payroll requirements, then please contact Bishopsgate to see how they can help you. Call today on 0203 019 4990 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org